Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Speak On It



Let me preface this by saying that when it comes to the presidency of Barack Obama, I'm pretty much neutral. I'm not enthusiastic about it; nor am I despondent about it. You won't catch me in Obama paraphernalia or praising his success as "the first black president."; nor will you hear me dogging the man out and playing into the conspiritorial dialogue regarding him that's pervasive in some circuits. I respect him as an individual and hope that for the sake of himself, his family, and this nation as a whole that all goes well while he's in that position.

With that said...
Recently while listening to internet radio I heard a statement made by someone that went something like:

"Judging from his actions, it's evident that barack Obama has shown more loyalty to his white mother than to his black father."
He was speaking in context of the perception that President Obama fails to show concern (through action) for black people but gives preference to others. If someone takes issue with Barack Obama's lack of positive activity in the black community, fine. I don't really know too much about what he has or hasn't done in that aspect, so I can't hypothesize on that issue one way or the other.
To me, though, it's unreasonable to even use his parents--and the difference in their "racial" background--and whatever relationship he might have had with them to make a point about his loyalty or disloyalty to a particular group. Those are his parents, and the fact that they were of 2 different backgrounds and the circumstances which perpetuated the way he was raised (being primarily reared by one side of the family as opposed to the other or both) was out of his control. Can those of us who are not the offspring of 2 "racially" or culturally contrasting parents really speak on the allegiance to one parent or another (or whether there is any or not or whether it's right or wrong) that those who are might or might not exhibit? Maybe we can, and I just didn't realize it. Somebody break it down for me.
I guess it's only natural that black people (generally speaking) would like to think that Barack Obama--because he is looked at as being the first African-American president of this country (and I realize that has been debated)--would be more loyal to us a group, especially considering the history of America. My opinion on that is irrelevant at this point.But I just don't see how or why someone would talk about what he is or isn't doing as president in context of the relationship he may or may not have has with his mother and father.

I'm all for arguing a point and challenging the actions taken by someone in a power position. However, it seems only right that the subjects being used in making the argument be reasonable or fair in relation to what's being argued.

peace.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment